Wooden Trestle

By Ty’s Model Railroad - 7/19/2010 07:01:00 PM

Entire 4 x 8 benchwork showing the almost completed foam roadbed and wooden train trestle

After a week, I finally completed my trestle. I built it using 1/4” and 3/8” square doweling rod purchased from a local hardware store. I first traced on a large sheet of paper the track curve, as well as the location of the tracks that would pass below. From this, I determined the measurements as well as the location of each pier. 

Benchwork showing the almost completed foam roadbed and wooden train trestle

I built the deck of the trestle directly onto the drawing that I had made, using this as an exact guide for placing the pieces. This was the best option to keep everything accurate. The piers had to be on a sharp angle due to the two tracks passing below so extra support had to be given to the trestle deck in some areas. I finished the piers with 1/16" cross supports as well as a deck for the 18" radius track to sit on. Even thought this is not the most prototypical trestle, it still looks good on the layout and fits the track perfectly. 

An unpainted wooden train trestle made of wooden dowels and basswood set on the benchwork

By this time I have placed all of my track bed with the exception of the front staging area. I just want to be sure of my turn out positions before I glue anything down permanently. You can finally get a good idea of how my layout is going to look. 

Entire 4 x 8 benchwork showing the almost completed foam roadbed and wooden train trestle

An unpainted wooden train trestle made of wooden dowels and basswood set on the benchwork

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

2 comments

  1. Students can download Telangana Sr, Jr Inter Question Paper in PDF format from this web page below given links. Telangana Inter 1st & 2nd Year Exam are organised by Board of Intermediate Education Telangana Only. Regular and Private Students in BIE Telangana Students must register for the public exam after preparing for their exam using these sample papers Telangana Sr, Jr Inter Question Paper Inter 1st & 2nd Year Time Tables are also available on this website for students. Students benefit from the BIE Telangana Inter 1st & 2nd Year Bit Bank and Question Bank because they provide a solid practise example for solving papers effectively.

    ReplyDelete